Sunday, February 14, 2010

Chapter 12 & 13

I'm a blaze of fury today that knows no limit. AKA, the editing is going good. SO good that I've decided to take a quickie breather, and tell you about it.

Besides the mundane of adding forgotten commas, i was able to flesh out Vasili's character. This had been one of my deep down worries, I like my villain, and love his name. Purposely, he only has one or two real scenes, the rest are more focused on who he's with. Chapters 12 and 13, he spends time with some witches. Mombi, rightly so, is the star of these chapters, her last appearance unless i need her again, and so far i don't. Unless you read Land of Oz, seen the HBO cartoon, or saw the movie Return to Oz, you have no idea who Mombi is. The parts i take to explain to the reader who she is are nothing short of fantastic in my view. I love them, and her role in the beginning is on point, and really digs down to the type of person Mombi is. All I'm going to say is that i channel a little Ayn Rand when putting her into this role. The wizard and Vasili are the moochers to her productive soul. It works, trust me. Thanks to the militia of political second hand feeders, Randian references are all over the place. Please, let me assure you that i have no intention of using the resemblance to further some political goal. They are only used to accent what a hard worker Mombi is, a contradiction you say, then i have a parade for you to go to, and it wont be a fun one.

Damn, talk about being all over the place. Let's get back to what i was discussing, Vasili. I know who he is, and what his intentions are, but I'm starting to wonder about a few things. Should i keep his real identity a secret throughout the whole work. It's an idea I'm warming up to, and the decision may have already been made. Vasili will join the ranks of The Haunting, and you will forever wonder if he is what you think he is, or maybe your imagination will fetch up something better.

I did find a three page bit with the Upstairs President that really belongs elsewhere. To the notepad i go.

It doesn't make much sense, but these chapters really signal a marked progress towards the beginning of the end. I'm going to have to do a little skimming, and see if these twin pieces are better suited a hundred pages down the line. I'm not sure. It might be better to break them up, but it just may upset the apple cart about something that only I'm worried about. A good majority of my worries become unfounded when editing.

Oh well, that's it for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment